Thursday, August 16, 2012

So You Think You Know Me...

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I read Crazy Aunt Purl's blog and what she wrote about her online presence and what people perceive of her made me think. A lot. If you haven't read it yet, please click here. Personally, I think this article is a must-read for bloggers or anyone with some sort of online presentations, really.

For the longest time, the moment I open my mouth and said, "I have a beauty blog," people would say, "So, you are that girl, huh?" They would assume that I am a brainless chick who is after vanity. And then, they would brush me aside and did not take me so seriously.

In the beginning, it hurt. Yes,I am a beauty blogger and I am drawn to beautiful things, specifically makeup. As fun as blogging about makeup and beauty products has been, it is work and requires energy and inputs from me to make things happen. That people don't seem to know. In the beginning, I took time to argue with people to make them think of what I do more seriously. I was fighting an uphill battle and out of 100 people, maybe 1 or 2 showed interests and appreciated what I do.

Now, I don't care anymore. Blogging is a part of me but it's not 100% me. What you see here is a slice of my life, a part of me where I have some control over how I project my image. It's just makeup and lots of it.

So, when someone tells you he or she is a beauty blogger, don't brush them aside. Of all I know, that beauty blogger with lots of bright eye shadows and blushes may be a doctor/lawyer/professor/scientist/environmental activist with a couple of post-graduate degrees under his or her belt. Also, that person may be as smart as Einstein but likes makeup. And we don't take ourselves so seriously.

Also, please do not assume that you read our blogs and you know us, either. There are many things happen in my life that I don't blog here or there or anywhere, really. I prefer to keep them to myself.

So future boyfriend/husband/HR people/scholarship people/etc: if you find your way here via climbing Mt. Google, please feel free to dig in and read. But please do not assume that you like, totally know me from, like, reading my blog and all. Because you don't. And because I do have many other things to do beside makeup (like writing grands and doing research, for instant!)

But two things you know for sure from this blog: (1) I love makeup and (2) I can like, totally write, y'all!

Therefore, I am going to leave you here with a picture of moi that I posted last week where I had a lot of makeup on my face and look fabulous and all. Enjoy!


With love,
Dao xoxo

P.S: Please show your support by following my blog and subscribing to my feed. Thanks a lot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails