Monday, October 3, 2011

Microfiber It!

Hi everyone,

Happy Monday! Let's have a little fun today, shall we? Can you guess what kind of fabric in the below pictures?

Do you have the answer yet?
How about now?
Alright, I think I've given out enough clues. Here is the answer:

They are microfiber washcloths!
About 2 years ago, I started using microfiber towels to wash my face in the morning after many of my friends gave thumbs up on them. Honestly, I still think it is the best decision I have ever made to take care of my skin. These microfiber towels are the same kind sold for dusting furniture and washing cars. They are really cheap and usually available in the auto section. The pink one was a dollar item that was on sale at Target. I got 2 for 50 cents, which was a really good deal. The blue one I bought in a pack of 5 and they are actually sold for car cleaning. Lastly, the green towel was a recent purchase. It is huge, fluffy, and cheap.

My old towels, after almost 2 years of use, has begun to thin out. They lost the graininess that make them great for exfoliating. I was desperate since I had been looking for replacements and could not find any. Then, last weekend, we went to another part of Saigon and hit this huge supermarket. And tada! Right in the towel section were these babies. They cost me about 65 cents each and I bought two.

Now, you want to know why I love these towels so much. I grew up with regular washcloths to clean my face and although they do a decent job, they can be really scratchy. I remember running away from towels when I was a child. Running and screaming. Then, one day I read about the Aveda shammy cloth and actually experienced it myself when I went to Aveda Institute for a facial. It was decent and expensive ($20 a piece if I remember correctly.) I went to JoAnn's, bought a yard of fleece, and cut them up into squares. The fleece towels were as good as the shammy cloth and definitely softer than the cotton washcloths. But once I experienced the microfiber towels, my world has changed for the better.

Microfibers are synthetic fabrics and there are two types available: the smooth kind and the fuzzy kind. While both are excellent for dusting and cleaning without abrasion, the second kind can remove dirt better. Also, microfibers hold more water than cotton and does not tangle hair as much, which make them the perfect hair drying cloth as well.

If you haven't used microfiber cloth to wash your face before, here are a few things you need to notice:

  1. Use less force for the first few times: although they are soft, nice, and fluffy, microfiber cloths are really good facial exfoliators. When I used my new washcloth, I was a little bit too enthusiastic and I could feel my face being exfoliated more than usual after I was done.
  2. Don't use bleach on it: as it is made from synthetic materials, bleach can burn your microfiber.
  3. Don't put it in the dryer, either: after washing your microfiber washcloths, just air dry them. I put my cloths in the dryer once by mistake and they hardened.
  4. Don't use fabric softener on them, either: this will dull the fabric.
Yes, it is a bit harder to maintain than your regular wash cloth but the result is so worth it. After I started using these washcloths, my face has become clearer. After washing my face with the facial wash, I rinse with water until clear, then I soak the washcloth in water and use it to wipe away the soapy residuals. In the morning, I just use the microfiber cloth to wash my face with water. No face wash necessary. I change them after 3-5 uses and hang them dry after I use them.

How about you? Have you tried the microfiber washcloths yet?


Photobucket
P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails