Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An Uncreative Way to Create New Perfumes

After years and years of watching and sniffing and buying and begging for perfume samples, I came to one conclusion: the folks who name perfumes are not that creative.

Right now, your reaction from my statement can be:

  1. I know, right?
  2. Girl, what cha talkin' 'bout?
  3. What's happening to My Makeup Blog lately? That girl has been on a bashing trip. 
  4. Really, I have no idea what you're talking about (preferably, the statement should be spoken with a British accent) 
  5. Dude, I don't care!

Did you mark your choice? Oh, you did? Good, write it down somewhere, ok? Wait, don't tattoo it! I didn't say tattoo, I said write.

While browsing the perfume counter, that realization hit me square in the head. More and more perfume companies have created spin-offs from the greatest or slightly alter the packaging of their best-selling perfumes. I've sniffed a few and needless to say, they are more of the same. Below are the three examples:

Chanel no. 5 Eau Premiere (source)
Chanel no. 5 has a younger niece called Chanel no. 5 Eau Premiere: I know, it is still under the numero cinco umbrella but Eau Premiere is a kitty cat while no. 5 (especially the EDP) is a cougar. Did you get my metaphoric comparison?



Tresor in Love (source)
Tresor from Lancome has a spin-off called Tresor in Love: Lancome did what? Tresor, so far, is the perfume I receive the most compliment whenever I wear it. Do they need to have a spin off? I mean, really, is that necessary, Lancome? Tresor is Lancome's number one best selling perfume and I don't expect a lot of great things from spin-offs.
Daisy in the Air (source)
Marc Jacobs Daisy also has slightly altered sister called Daisy in the Air : Worse than Lancome and Chanel, who actually did some work to slightly alter the design and scent, Daisy in the Air has the same yellow juice as the original Daisy but the flower is blue. It's a mood boosting perfume but I will not shell out my money for something that smells the same but looks slightly different.

Please notice that these perfumes come from luxurious brands and were not "created" by celebrities. Although some of them are more modern renditions of the old and famous perfumes, I can't help but notice how lackluster they are when compared with the older versions. I guess brands are more focusing on gaining a younger crop of consumer by offering younger smelling scents. However, I don't think that's necessary. Just look at Guerlain Shalimar. Like Chanel no. 5, it is a timeless scent. However, nobody dares to alter it. Shalimar is what it is. Any alteration would smell ridiculous to me.

What do you think about this trend? Would you buy a newer edition of a classic scent or stick with the original? Please let me know. Also, if you wrote down your choice from the above multiple-choice question, please feel free to share.

Photobucket

P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails