When reading Natural Beauty by Laura DuPriest, I bumped into this DYI sugar waxing recipe. Once upon a time, I bought a jar of Nad’s and tried to remove the hair out of my legs. While Nad’s was gentle and did not irritate my skin, it did not do such a good job to depilate the unwanted hair. So, I became disappointed and gave up waxing/sugaring totally.
Image courtesy Kikay Exchange
This homemade sugar wax recipe is simple and easy to make. Here’s the how-to:
Laura DuPriest Homemade Sugar Wax
What you need:
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Watch over this pan until it bubbles and start to have the color of ginger ale.
- In a separate pan, boil some water.
- To test the readiness of the wax mixture, use a metal spoon and scoop a spoonful of mixture. If it bubbles in the spoon for at least two seconds, the mixture is ready.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add 1 tablespoon of boiling water from the second pan and stir thoroughly. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before storing in a plastic or glass container.
- To make cleaning the pan easier, pour the remaining hot water from the second pan to the first one (the one used to boil the wax) before cleaning it.
Now, here’s the fun part: How to sugar wax
Other things you’ll need
- Cotton muslin strips or strips of paper bag cutouts
- Wooden Popsicle sticks or a smooth butter knife with no serration
- Two old, washable towels
Then coat the part you want to wax generously with cornstarch. For example, if you want to wax your leg, just coat it until it looks snow white. Coating it with powder makes your skin less tolerable to the abrasion caused by waxing.
Next, coat your hands with cornstarch as well and you’re ready to apply the sugar wax to your skin.
Important step: apply the wax to the direction of hair growth! Then apply the strip on top of the wax, gently rub it two or three times in downward strokes. Take a deep breath and quickly pull the strip out of your leg.
You can reuse the same strip over and over again until it’s thick with wax.
To remove the leftover wax on your skin, use the old towels :)
Unless you have really sensitive skin or use retinoids, sugaring is for you. This recipe can be used to remove facial hair as well. If kept properly, it can last for about a month.
P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!