Tuesday, May 5, 2009

NYC in a New York Minute Nail Polish in West Village: so Pretty!

Happy Tuesday,

Happy Cinco de Mayo! How are you doing today? I hope you're feeling fine and dandy. The weather has driven me crazy and I feel kind of under the weather (ha, weather joke!) It's been so hot and humid like it's about to rain but not a drop of water falls down from the sky so far, argh! Talking about the weather, as soon as it's getting warmer, people around my 'hood have been sporting tank tops, shorts, and flip flops which means mani/pedi season has just begun!

Now, I am not a nail gal but once in a while I paint my toe nails just for fun. The drugstore budget beauty brand NYC came out with a new limited edition collection a while ago called "In a New York Color Minute" that has lip glosses, eyeshadows, and nail polishes named in different landmarks in New York. Since I was looking for a deep navy nail polish, I decided to get a bottle of West Village.

NYC In a New York Color Minute nail polish in West Village

At a glance, West Village looks like a navy color but once painted to my nail the color changed. In flourescent and natural light, it looks like a deep peacock green. In incandescent light, it is a navy color. This nail polish is so complex that sometimes it mesmerizes me.

After one layer of nail polish (sorry for my messy application)
You can see some green there

After two layers, the blue deepens

In a New York Color Minute nail polishes were formulated without DBP, toluene, and added formaldehyde. It is a quick dry nail polish with added minerals to strengthen the nails. By removing DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde from the formula, this nail polish is less toxic to people. Although these are listed as toxic compounds when ingested, they do not pose much harm when inhaled. However, since some people like to bite their nails, especially children, removing these toxic compounds is a good thing.

The downside of nail polishes without DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde is they are proned to chipping. Although my nail polish is a quick dry product, it chipped after 20 minutes but the chipping stopped once the nail polish was totally dry. At first, I thought chipping was a result of buying cheap nail polish. However, I tested other more expensive ones (OPI and Sally Hansen's) and they also chip to some extend. OPI seems to hold out better than the other ones, even better than Nicole's by OPI. So, the way to handle this nail polish is to let it dry to absolution before touching anything.

Price: $1.99 at CVS, $1.79 at Target (sold like hot cakes there, I can't find any at my local Tarje anymore!)
My rating: B, if they fix the chipping issue I'll give it an A plus! West Village is gorgeous and this collection has a ton of colors!

I hope you're having a wonderful Cinco de Mayo. Please drink some tequila and eat some guacamole. I'm craving some tamales myself at this very moment, yum!

Take care, everyone, and as always, stay gorgeous!

Love,
Your Makeup Blogger

P.S: Shu Uemura just launched their new website and offers a 20% discount when you make your purchases there using code NEWSITEBLOG until may 7th, 2009. Also, shipping is free when you buy $50 USD or more.

If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for sharing.

    The price of this line is great, sometimes you can even get them cheaper when the store is having a buy one get one free sale. I saw this line quite a few times when shopping in stores. Because of the cheap price, I did picked up a few bottles. Haven't really tried them out yet. I have a tendency of collecting nail polish :P. So after reading your post, I want to take out these nail polish from my draw and try it out.

    Have been reading your blog for a while now; I like your writing style, informational yet entertaining. Keep up the good work!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! N.Y.C. makeup is one of my favorite drugstore brand -- mostly their lipsticks and tube glosses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,

    You made my day! Thank you for posting your comment! I hope you enjoy your NYC nail polishes, they are good and affordable too! Target sold them out like hot cakes, now I can't even find one. What colors do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,

    I haven't tried their glosses but have a red lipstick. NYC is also my favorite budget brand as well. You can get so much for 5 dollars!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Dao...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails