Friday, April 10, 2009

DYI Beauty: Sugar-Honey Olive Oil Scrub

Ciao mi bellas,

As you've already known me, I loooove free stuff! And who doesn't, right? Recently, I've been going back to doing physical exfoliation, ie applying face scrubs, instead of using chemical peels to keep my skin smooth. After some kitchen chemistry, I finally nailed down to one face scrub formula that my skin loves a lot: the sugar-honey olive oil scrub. Believe it or not, it is very simple and most of the ingredients are free.

The ingredients
  • 5 packettes (or 5 teaspoons) of crystallized sugar;
  • 1 packette (or 1 tsp) of honey: raw, organic honey is better but I just got the packaged stuff from the coffee shop;
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) from your pantry.

Other things you'll need: a spoon and a mixing jar, preferrably with a lid.

How to do it: in a jar, mix sugar an honey together, then add EVOO until you get a wet sand consistency (about 1 teaspoon.)

The scrub shoud look like this

How to use the scrub: after wetting your face, apply about a dime-size amount of the scrub all over your face and gently massage. Rinse off with warm water and a wash cloth.

After using this scrub, your face should feel really soft and smooth. If it feels like an oil slick then you added too much EVOO. Rinsing with warm water is very crucial to remove the extra oil from your face. I find cold or room temperature to be inadequate. Also, if you rinse well enough with a washcloth, you do not need to wash your face with face wash at all. This scrub is a cleanser as well.

Bonus point: it's a wonderful body scrub once the formula is multiplied. Just make sure to cap it well and store in a cool, dry place.

Have a nice weekend, folks! And as always, stay gorgeous!

Love,
Your Makeup Blogger


P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!

9 comments:

  1. Ooo I think I am gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaq,

    You're welcome! Please let me know if it works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia,

    It works quite well for me, although I have oily skin. If you have dry skin, this scrub is going to be fabulous. You can add essential oil to it if used as a body scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This scrub works wonders for my skin! I have oily skin, but this doesn't cause it to be more oily and it gives a lovely glow. Best of all? The ingredients are all inexpensive :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I was wondering if I could replace the EVOO with just regular olive oil. Is there a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Constance,

    EVOO is the first crop when they press olive for olive oil. It is usually cold pressed and retain most of the nutrients. Therefore, nutritiously it is better. Regular olive oil may be produced with heat, hence the healing power may be less. If you don't have EVOO, regular olive oil is fine as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this today, although without the EVOO (I'll add that next time). My skin felt so smooth and soft as well as clean. I'm happy I found out about the honey/sugar scrub as I was about to pay for another very expensive peel and microdermabrasion beauty treatment at the spa. Now I feel I got the same benefits for less than $20 at the store. Instead of granulated sugar, I used brown sugar. Can't wait for that glow, that I keep hearing about, to kick in. How many times a week should I repeat this treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would this work for men as well?

    ReplyDelete

Dear Dao...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails