When I need a quick pick me up or something to reduce the inflammation on my face, I always reach for an egg. Today I would like to share with you 3 egg masques that I use: one to tighten and tone, one to treat acne inflammation, and one to lighten your skin.
The first wonderful egg masque: egg white masque
This is a masque that will tighten your skin. I call it "face lift in an egg" as it will give you a temporary glow and tightening look. Although all can benefit from this masque, those with oily skin will reaps more benefit since this masque is quite mattifying.
- Separate the egg white from egg yolk, keep the yolk for further use. Beat the white until frothy.
- Apply it to your clean face and let it stay for 15-20 minutes. You will feel your face tighten up during the process.
- Wash your face with warm water. You will see your face glowing after washing. This masque will give you a temporary face lift for about an hour. You should use that time wisely to put your best face forward :D
Second wonderful egg masque: egg yolk masque
Did you remember to keep the yolk from the first masque recipe? If you forgot (or ate the yolk already), just go ahead a crack another egg. This time we're using the yolk and please keep the white for the last recipe. When I came to grad school, the stress of moving and adapting to a new environment took a toll on my face. The school's monthly magazine had a beauty section where people sent in their home remedies and such. One girl wrote that her dad told her to use eggs on her face to treat acne. It makes sense to me as the egg yolk is full of vitamin A, or retinol as the molecule is called. We all know, retinol and its retinoid derivatives are used as acne treatment and anti-wrinkle compounds. In fact, retinol is a molecule that works in skin care. Moreover, the egg yolk has high concentration of cholesterol and fatty compounds, which makes it suitable for dry skin that needs moisture.
How to do it:
- Beat an egg yolk lightly with a fork (or chopsticks for Asian folks), then add about 1 teaspoon of honey.
- On your clean face, apply the egg and honey mixture. You should lay down and relax during the time the masque is applied as egg yolks do not dry out as fast as egg whites.
- After 15-20 minutes, wash your face with warm water. You can use this masque as many times as you want as it is a very cheap and effective way to treat acne.
I find this masque to be a useful means to lighten up the complexion. For those who have sensitive skin, you should use this masque sparingly or avoid using it all together. Lemon is used to really cleans the pores but it also makes your skin more vulnerable to the sun. Therefore, copious amount of sunscreen is needed after using the masque.
How to do it:
- Beat an egg white with some drops of lemon like you did in masque #1.
- Apply the mixture to your clean face for 15-20 minutes and wash it with warm water when you're done.
Take care ladies. If you have any home made masques, please share. I'd love to hear from you.
Your Makeup Blogger
P.S: Silk Naturals has a fall sale going on right now, the deals are quite good: orders of $5 USD or more get samples of lippies, blush, and eyeshadow; orders of $20 USD or more get the 3 pack samples plus Vineyard, their LE eyeshadow, orders of $40 USD or more get the 3 pack, Vineyard, and a free eyeshadow of your choice. Plus, for first time orders: use code FRIEND for a 5% discount.
If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!